[Public-List] Mast Heads for the Alberg

Michael dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Fri Feb 20 05:33:00 PST 2009

It appears from your response I have insulted, or crossed into an area
you feel I don't belong. If so, I apologize. This being the public list,
I assumed there are those who don't have access to the rules (the
Chesapeake Bay Assoc. rules).

Anyway, for the record, here goes.

Part 1 Section 4 Sentence 2
	For the one design purposes of the Association (paragraph 2.A.
   above) any alteration to hull or rigging that precludes full
         	compliance with part II herof shall be reported to the
	Association Secretary by the owner, prior to or at the time such
         alteration is made.

Part 2 Section 7 sentence 1
	The halyards may not be altered insofar as their character and
points of attachment to the mast are concerned.*

	*this shall not preclude leading halyards aft.

So, yes, I think I am on pretty solid ground in deciding (your phrase)
internal halyards are not allowed, by the rules, as written. I would be
astonished if the rules committee allowed it, especially without
amending part 2 rules and regulations, but of course that is a decision
the rules committee has authority to make.

It was a pretty big source of, call it conversation, years ago on the
issue of whether cunninghams should be allowed. It went on for years,
the rules issue about...a grommet.

I have to wonder if I misinterpreted the original "internal halyard"
post, and the sender was just referring to leading the main halyard
sheave differently-which, for the record, still speaks to the rules, me
thinks, but is a whole different animal than running internal halyards.

MichaelGrosh