[Public-List] Mast Heads for the Alberg

Meinhold, Michael J. MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Fri Feb 20 12:56:49 PST 2009

It is clear that there is some disagreement about interpretation of Rule
#7 "Running Rigging" in the Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 Association class
rules and how this applies to internal halyards. I am requesting that
the Rules Committee meet as soon as possible to consider this question.

Please note that the Committee does not have the power to change the
bylaws (of which the class rules are part), but only to recommend a
change to the Executive Board. The Board can then place this question
before the membership, to be voted on at the Annual meeting.

The Rules Committee is also charged with interpreting the rules for the
coming season. I will urge the committee to:

1) Declare whether for the 2009 racing season
        a) internal halyards will be legal,
           OR
        b) internal halyards will be illegal

2) Recommend an addition to the bylaws Rule #7 either
    a)All halyards used in racing must be completely external to the
mast.
       OR
    b)Internal halyards are permitted.

All opinions should be considered by the Rules committee, but they will
be meeting soon.

If you offer an opinion, I ask that you be succinct and clear - 1a or
1b, and 2a or 2b and why. This will be a help to the Rules Committee.

Mike Meinhold
Commodore
Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 Association
mmeinhold at comcast.net
Home : 410 721 9434 / Office : 301 352 4734 / Cell : 410 271 5394