[Public-List] Mast Heads for the Alberg

Lawrence Morris morris.lc at verizon.net
Fri Feb 20 11:58:15 PST 2009

Michael,

Precedent has already been set on this issue,  I bought my boat in
2000 with internal halyards and have been actively racing it in the
fleet ever since.   The management style of class has changed
significantly from years ago.  When the Alberg class was very active
on the racing side and the fleets were large the style was one of
enforcement of the rules and cost containment and if that meant a
couple of boats were not deemed race legal the the strictest reading
of the rules then so be it.  Today the style is one of promotion and
inclusion to help keep the class class viable and active.  I think
this strategy has been most successful in maintaining our status as
the longest active one design class in CBYRA.

So, what does that mean in practical terms?  It means that the class
recognizes that these boats are 40 years old and that changes and
upgrades are inevitable and practical.   It also means as an
association of gentlemen sportsmen, the technical issues are examined
in a fair and impartial manner and the decisions that are made
regarding such modifications are arrived at with a eye toward what is
in the best interest of the class, and those exceptions may not make
it to the rule book for years, if at all.  And that is OK with me.

I remember when I first started racing in the class I was welcomed
with opened arms and an excitement that a new boat was racing with the
fleet.   I have always looked at a newcomer to our class as an asset
and thought of ways to help them make their racing experience more
fulfilling.  I think our class would die a quick death if we greeted
each new participant by examining their boat and cataloging all their
non compliance issues.   That is just not who we are.

Larry
Solstice, #501