[Public-List] Mast Heads for the Alberg(Larry)

Michael dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Sat Feb 21 06:48:43 PST 2009

<snip>
association of gentlemen sportsmen,
<snip>

I think our class would die a quick death if we greeted each new
participant by examining their boat and cataloging all their non
compliance issues.   That is just not who we are.
<snip>

Nicely said Larry and I agree (with your post) on the whole.

I was racing back in those large fleets (not too successfully, but we
all have our crosses) and there were cellar jacks installed under masts,
  individuals having one boat for racing, one for cruising, and so on. I
think it is human nature to see a rule, and then work (or maybe even
bend) it to advantage.

The point I was really trying to make was, well, this whole thing is a
slippery slope and perhaps the most effective way to manage the class is
to yes, let people customize their boats but if you start winning, there
may be repercussions. You just need to be careful with what you modify.

I am going to be the last person to race Dennis Connor style (if you
can't beat them on the course, beat them in court), but it is a pretty
simple thing to throw up my hands in disgust and just walk away. I bet I
am not alone.

MichaelGrosh