[Public-List] Mast Heads for the Alberg

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 09:30:30 PST 2009

My crew generally poke fun at me for having TOO MUCH on board (I am
kind of a pack rat).

For example, one NOOD that a college buddy was doing with me, when we
had a no-wind postponement, I busted out a cordless drill and started
doing a little maintenance job that had been on the list for a long
time. He looked at me like I was a fool (which admittedly I probably
am) and said: "You bring a DRILL while racing? That is contrary to
everything I have ever been brought up to believe about how to race!"
For reference, he is a past lightning world champion crew (as a
junior), and has been part of multiple J/35 NA champion crews (back
when being a J/35 NA champ meant something).

Sheepishly I grinned and said I had a right angle drill as well down below...

he laughed, we had a beer, and got on with the day. But I and my extra
tools on board were the butt of many jokes...

the following day, he did make me remove the drills, as well as my
wrench and socket set (both english and metric, weighs about 30 lbf).
But of course we sail with a full water tank (we've been known to use
the washdown pump as a big squirt gun on the racecourse), as well as
plenty of other essential fluids.

There is NO WAY that anybody can come on my boat and accuse me of
skimping on weight. When I sistered my main beam, my best friend who
is a yacht designer at Farr Yacht Design came aboard to check it out,
laughed, and when I told him what the plates weighed, he said...'Only
on an Alberg.'

I did the queenstown race last year with a dinghy in tow so I could go
ashore to watch a football game on saturday night. This also was a
source of much mirth and though we did not manage to win we did manage
to get ourselves into 2nd place for a portion of the race (we finished
somewhat further back than that).

To be honest, I rather doubt there is much infringement of Rule 20,
but maybe I'm wrong.

Going to the seminar, hope to see y'all there!