[Public-List] Removing antifouling paint

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Mon Feb 23 06:29:56 PST 2009

As I have Said to others in the past, and take my word for it, and most
will confirm, for this job you will need 24 Grit floor sanding Sand paper,
a shop vac, and a good RO dustless sander - I recommend Porter Cable.
No other way is time efficient - other than Sand or Soda blasting.

Yes, I have tried the chemical stripping method - takes months and
still you get nowhere.

I did my hull back in 2004 and worked
form February to April to do the job. It was tough. I didn't get anywhere
till I started using the sander, then paint disappeared like an eraser.

--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57

Bill Newman wrote:
> I have a fairly ugly build up of
Fibreglass Bottomcoat on #233 that I
> would like to remove this
spring.  The alternatives seem to be sanding,
> very unpleasant,
unhealthy and messy.  Also Interlux stripper, fairly
> expensive
at about $80.00 per 4 litre can as well as soda blasting,

expensive, messy and hard to find a location to do the blasting.  I
have
> also been told from a not especially reliable source that
there are some
> effective home made removers available.
>

> Doe anyone have any informed opinions about this?  Any
suggestions will be
> welcome.
>
> Bill Newman
> Marion Rose III