[Public-List] Removing antifouling paint

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Mon Feb 23 11:11:29 PST 2009

CB,

I thought I would need to redo the bottom on good old 148 but, when I
learned the previous owner had done some work there, I welcomed the
opportunity to postpone it.  When analyzing (pronounced; anal-ize-ing) the
situation I thought how great it would be to do the work with the boat on
it's side rather than vertical.  At the time I was working in a friend's
factory that had overhead cranes and thought it wouldn't be too difficult to
put the keel on a plank on the floor (w/ gaps for the slings), lower the old
girl enough for slight slack and give a gentle push to the preferred side
before lowering further.  I even bought a heavy duty inflatable "dunnage
pillow" (used to hold cargo in place) on which to rest the boat.  It is 8"
long and I figured I could put it under the hull in line with outboard edge
of the main cabin bunk.

Imagine working down rather than up; no "fallout", access to the bottom of
the keel, no boat stand patches to paint, the coatings might even run less.
I still have the pillow if anybody wants to be the first crazy on their
block to try it.

Roger 148