[Public-List] [Public-list] Bilge

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Feb 24 10:16:28 PST 2009

Hi Pete -

I understand your desire to try to find a sail quickly...but with regard to
racing vs cruising I can say that cruisers really have a better reason to
have good mains than racers.

A nice shape in your main will knock a significant number of degrees off
your angle of heel in every wind speed. The boat will be much easier to
steer and the cumulative effect will be the same as if you changed your
ballast from iron to lead.  But of course with no actual increase in
weight!!!  oh - I forgot to say - you will sail faster in most wind speeds
but the stuff I described above is more important to comfort and safety.

I suspect this year sailmakers can be found with space in their production
schedules.  Making an A30 main from scratch does not take more than a few
days; and is really worth every penny.  I have a sailmaker I am loyal to
(who made our boat's sails when the class was in production) but you may
have your favourite.

Where do you live?

Gord #426 SURPRISE