[Public-List] [Public-list] Bilge (main sail shape)

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Feb 24 11:35:24 PST 2009

I still dream sometimes of the way that place smelled when I opened it up on
Saturday mornings.  That was the day of the week when I was the first guy
in... It was my work place, and the usual tensions and pressures occurred
there, but I loved it.

One time I thought I was alone and put an Emerson Lake & Palmer tape in the
PA system and cranked it up.  "Lucky Man" was booming through the building
while I worked.  Then the song ended and I heard a quiet voice say 'Good
morning Gordon'.  It was old H.M.Swartze, the owner of the company and
long-time friend of the original Tom Taylor.  HM was amused that I was
embarrassed at having basically blown him out of his office upstairs with
the electronic music...  We talked for a long time; he was a real gentleman.

A few years ago I walked around the building Tom Taylor Co. was in and went
in the Japanese restaurant now in one corner of the first floor.  I went in
and when they brought me the menu I said to the waitress "did you know that
where we are right now was once the reception area of the offices of what
was North America's largest marine outfitting company?  She said no, and
asked me if I wanted to hear what the specials were.

On 2/24/09 2:10 PM, "John Birch" <Sunstone at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Hi Gord
>
> I never had an opportunity to meet you uncle, if he was anything like you
> (which I imagine he was) he must have been a great guy. Thanks for sharing
> your story
>
> That Taylor loft was a wonderful period of time with an fantastic talent
> pool that would go out later to many individual success's
>
> Un petit monde non ? !
>
> ATB
>
> John

>>> (7.5 oz x 2 = 15oz at the leach, where most sails fail - this won't, the