[Public-List] Automatic Bilge Pump

laserandy at aol.com laserandy at aol.com
Mon Jan 5 15:28:04 PST 2009

A couple thoughts/observations.? I too am without a working electric bilge pump.? Oh, the pump is down there alright, but I've found since it burned out it makes a great gauge to tell if the water level is rising between visits to the boat (if the pump is covered, it's time for me to pump it out by hand).?

Shortly after burning out the electric pump, I started using the Whale in the cockpit locker.? After using it for a couple weeks, I started getting a trickle of water down my hand when using it, very nasty stuff.? I decided to rebuild it to keep my hands clean (sometimes I visit the boat before work).? When I did, I found it was fairly well shot and wouldn't have done much good in any sort of emergency.? I'd be willing to bet most of you who are using an electric pump haven't torn down the Whale in years, if so, now is probably a good time.

Now, on the subject of emergency pumping capacity, has anyone installed a raw-water diversion valve in order to use the engine pickup to drain the boat?? Other than the obvious need to have someone in the cabin to shift between raw and bilge as the engine pumps the boat dry, does anyone have any issues or concerns with this arrangement??

Andrew