[Public-List] Automatic bilge pumps

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 13 06:29:40 PST 2009

For a fixed installation I would prefer the area under the sink to the head compartment.  At least under the sink there is room to hide the valves and the run for the intake is short.  As to check valves, I don't like them, there is some restriction and they do tend to get stuck open with debris.  For an A30 how about make it portable.  Mount it on a board with a ~10 foot pigtail and alligator clips.  Keep two hoses with the pump in a cockpit locker.  To protect the pump itself - store it in a plastic tackle box.  It would not take any longer to deploy and would be portable if another boat had to borrow it.  On the fall cruise we used my Water Puppy to back flush an engine in a boat on another raft.  I have also loaned it for use as a bilge pump.

Jim Davis
Isa Lei
CT 35

"Ah consensus . the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead.  What great cause would have been fought and won under the banner 'I stand for consensus'?"

Margaret Thatcher