[Public-List] Bilge Pump Setup

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Tue Jan 6 08:57:41 PST 2009

To follow up on Gord's comments,  I have a Jabsco Water Puppy impeller
pump mounted on the starboard engine bulkhead (liner boat).  It pulls
through a Y valve that has on one side a hose to the bilge with a bronze
strainer.  The other side of the Y has a hose attached to the icebox drain
hose.  For the reasons mentioned earlier,  there is no separate float
switch mounted in the bilge.  The pump is operated manually from a switch
on the panel and the Y is positioned to either drain the bilge or the
icebox.  It has worked well for over ten years.  I would advise that if
you plan to use this arrangement,  to find a way to mount the pump as low
as possible in the boat without exposing it to bilge water.  Because of
space limitations mine is half way up the bulkhead,  probably 3' above the
bottom of the bilge.  The pump specifies that it can pull a prime up to
4'.  In practice it's closer to 30 inches.  Even with two 115 amp
batteries constantly on a smart charger, and a new impeller,  the pump, if
not used for a while occasionally requires a manual prime.  The first few
feet of my exit hose run has a little dip that holds a few oz. of water. I
simply lift this section of  hose and this water flows down into the pump.
 Once wet,  the impeller immediately pulls the prime and moves quite a bit
of water.  I also maintain the manual pump in the cockpit as a backup. As
far as any siphon risk is concerned,  the exit hose run makes a high loop
next to the manual pump hose in the aft cockpit locker.  The impeller also
impedes the potential flow of water back through the system.  As a final
precaution,  switching the Y valve to the icebox side completely
eliminates any chance of a siphon.

Richard Hazlegrove
Quest 433
Mobjack Bay, VA.