[Public-List] Bilge leaking

Elyse Pastor elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 12 20:33:15 PST 2009

I have read with interest about the bilg pump issues and have somewhat a
bilge related question.
I had to remove the ruddershoe at the end of the season for getting it
repaired (hole is too large). The rudder shoe was nicely encased and flaired
with fibreglass. So I had to chip away first a few layers of fibreglass
before I was able to remove the screws of the rudder shoe (and the shoe
itself).
I also cleaned and dryed the bilge with a vacuum cleaner. Unfortunately,
there was a small diesel fuel leak from the engine (I probably had 0.5L -
1.0L of fuel going into the bilge before I noticed the problem and was able
to stop the leak). I thought I leave it for the winter as there would be no
danger of freezing. Now I notice that the diesel fuel has found its way all
the way down to the rudder shoe and is dripping slowly out.
Should I be concerned about this? Any suggestions?
I would think that since November 01, approximately 0.25 - 0.5L (or half of
the amount) has found its way out.
Thanks for the advise
Bruno & Elyse
Lady Heron 297