[Public-List] Cracked masthead on first generation A-30

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Tue Jan 20 21:57:38 PST 2009

Hello fellow Albergers,

Today I found that I have a crack in my cast aluminum masthead.  I
guess I can't complain too much, as this is the first thing I've found
on the boat that the Previous Owner bludged up - for the most part he
took very good care of the boat, and kept it in good, original
condition.

Anyway, what's happened is that he rigged up an extended "crane" for a
spinnaker halyard, but using two chainplates with some wood sandwiched
between to extend the front of the masthead forward and mount a block.
The flaw came in because the wood was not a suitable compression block,
and then tightening the fasteners caused one of the two "ears" at the
top forward of the masthead to try to bend inward a shade.  Cast
aluminum does not like to bend, so I've got a hairline crack near where
the clevis pin for the forestay goes through, on the port-side ear.

I remember talk of new mastheads being fabricated, but it was one of
those subjects I wasn't dealing with at the time, so I don't remember
the details.  Can anyone fill me in?  Are they available?  From whom
and at what cost?

I'd also be open to repairing the masthead by sistering or welding, but
don't know if this is possible.  Cosmetics are not that important,
considering the location, but of course strength is a huge priority.

This is the original mast, hull #221.  Original masthead, too.  I have
photos if they are needed.

Thanks so much for any input,

Rachel
1967 Alberg 30, #221