[Public-List] Automatic bilge pumps

Meinhold, Michael J. MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Mon Jan 12 13:17:04 PST 2009

I would like this too - the water puppy acting as secondary bilge pump
AND wash-deck pump.
I read online that the impeller will stick and freeze if not used
regularly, which makes the dual use even smarter. I don't like pulling
the saltwater (SW) intake from the engine SW thru-hull, as you are
competing with the engine SW pump for flow. Since the pump motor has a
healthy current draw, you probably want to run the engine when using it.

How about mount the pump in the head compartment. If we tee its
saltwater intake from the head thru-hull, then the only issue is reverse
pressure on the head when the pump is pulling SW. A check valve might
help.  If we then have a Y valve we can run an intake line back to the
bilge. It needn't go to the bottom of the bilge.  The outlet could then
go to a deck wash connection that points overboard??. Put a robust,
easily reachable and maintainable float valve back in the bilge to
activate the pump.  You now have an OFF/ON/AUTO switch on your
electrical panel for the pump.
1) When you are not aboard, the head thru-hull is closed, the Y-valve
set to BILGE, and the pump on AUTO.
2) When you are aboard, the head thru-hull is open, the Y-valve set to
BILGE and the pump is on AUTO.
3) When you want to use the wash-deck, set the Y-Valve to SEAWATER,
attach a hose to the outlet on deck and turn the pump to "ON". Keep some
garden hose handy and you could dewater another boat with this pump.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272