[Public-List] Automatic bilge pumps

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Mon Jan 12 13:28:04 PST 2009

or connect it to the Sink raw water intake? That would do fine! or if you
need - increase tehe size of the intake thru-hull.

--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57

Meinhold,
Michael J. wrote:
> I would like this too - the water puppy acting
as secondary bilge pump
> AND wash-deck pump.
> I read
online that the impeller will stick and freeze if not used

regularly, which makes the dual use even smarter. I don't like pulling
> the saltwater (SW) intake from the engine SW thru-hull, as you
are
> competing with the engine SW pump for flow. Since the pump
motor has a
> healthy current draw, you probably want to run the
engine when using it.

> How about mount the pump in the
head compartment. If we tee its
> saltwater intake from the head
thru-hull, then the only issue is reverse
> pressure on the head
when the pump is pulling SW. A check valve might
> help.  If we
then have a Y valve we can run an intake line back to the
> bilge.
It needn't go to the bottom of the bilge.  The outlet could then

go to a deck wash connection that points overboard??. Put a robust,
> easily reachable and maintainable float valve back in the bilge
> activate the pump.  You now have an OFF/ON/AUTO switch on
your
> electrical panel for the pump.
> 1) When you are
not aboard, the head thru-hull is closed, the Y-valve
> set to
BILGE, and the pump on AUTO.
> 2) When you are aboard, the head
thru-hull is open, the Y-valve set to
> BILGE and the pump is on
AUTO.
> 3) When you want to use the wash-deck, set the Y-Valve to
SEAWATER,
> attach a hose to the outlet on deck and turn the pump
to "ON". Keep some
> garden hose handy and you could
dewater another boat with this pump.

> Mike