[Public-List] Cracked masthead on first generation A-30

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Jan 21 02:07:11 PST 2009

Hi Rachel,

Replace the mast head. Don't screw around with Mickey Mouse solutions. Cast
Aluminum Heads cannot be welded.

A good fabricator can build you a new one which will be much stronger.
Photograph every aspect of the current head, measure the exact location of
every clevis pin hole, and draw it up so the new head will have the pins
terminate at the same points or else your rigging wire will be either too
long or too short. Have the new mast head welded to the mast. You can also
resolve any shive issues you might have had with the old head. Suggest using
a ruler or tape in each photo so that relative proportions can be determined
by the fabricator. And have the mast taken to the shop.

Up here we all tend to use Klacco Spars in Oakville Ontario as he does
excellent work.

I went through this drill - the new mast head will be much better than the
original.

Your only other option would be to try to find a used head that would fit.
Shops sometimes keep old heads.

Norseman Spars in Fla might be a solution or at least a professional source
of info.

ATB

John