[Public-List] Cracked masthead on first generation A-30

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Wed Jan 21 00:15:20 PST 2009

Michael,

Did you have the extruded aluminum part of the boom welded, or was it a
cast fitting?  The masthead is cast aluminum, and I'm thinking that
might be different in terms of repair or welding than extruded
aluminum, such as the spars are made of (?)

In the case of the masthead, I don't see it as being massively
overbuilt, but it was definitely stressed improperly by the tangs the
PO put on, so I can't blame it for cracking.  The crack is where the
forestay fitting's clevis pin goes through, so it's a critical area
(the mast is down at the moment on a mast rack, so accessible).

Thanks for your input,

Rachel