[Public-List] This may be a problem for long distance cruising

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 28 19:20:41 PST 2009

I have looked at the website for the New Jersey State Police licensing
and  their requirements are more strict than the ones for The Canadian
Operator's card. in that they require a proctored examination and a
course. It is possible to challenge the  operators card test here for
the card without a course but if you took at least the Basic Boating
course from the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron, you might be well
served. If not that one, then the piloting or advanced piloting would
cover you to get the tides and currents part of coastal navigation I am
sure, since the USPS was included in course givers. We have also
undertaken course changes this year in the CPSS, particularly with
notation on courses plotted on charts  to standarize our PS courses with
those of the US.
    Most transients would not normally be in New Jersey waters for 90
days or more and  it is very clear (Answer 1 line 2) that  the question
then arises as to whose water it is, whether state or federal, and  if
one is off the coastline in sea water, it seems to me that should be US
waters,  even if state police enforce the rules for  international or
out of state transients. Even here, we are in US waters if we cross the
great lakes, not NY or Michigan or Ohio waters. But if I travel the Erie
Barge Canal or go onto the Finger Lakes, then I am in NY waters and
would expect NY State laws to apply. I don't know what happens if you go
into a harbour that is close to the lake, but really in a river,  like
Toledo on Lake Erie, for state or federal jurisdiction. It is always
easy to find grey areas but the stipulations from the state of NJ
clearly state "NJ waters" in that first answer.
Don
# 528