[Public-List] Rudder

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Fri Jul 10 19:56:18 PDT 2009

Micael,

We agreed on one thing...your rudder is a mess! Is it wooden. Some of the earlier boats had wooden rudders. I think you need to take it off - not an easy thing to do, I did it a bunch of years ago and had to dig a deep hole under theboat so the rudder would slide out. You should have seen all of the insurance release paperwork that the boat yard made me sign.

Having said that, it is much easier to work on the rudder in the shop and rebuild it there  instead of the on the boat.

Mike,
My rudder is one of the early fibreglass ones.  I believe that I can remove the rudder without removing the upper rudder post from the boat................and thus not have to dig the deep hole you mentioned. It appears that the upper post can be separated from the blade while on the boat.
Michael