[Public-List] Inner forestay

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 20 12:25:19 PDT 2009

Mick,

we bought TROIS BOULEAUX A30 #319 in early 2008.  It has an inner forestay that was recently fitted along with a new staysail.  Last season and so fat this year I have the inner forestay tied to the shrouds to one side and have not used the staysail, though I plan to do so soon.  My previous reading on the A30 website turned up quite a bit of discussion concerning the need for a strong attachment of the inner forestay to the fore deck.  I got lot sof hits on the Public-List Archives for "inner forestay". You might also try searching under "Solent rig".  Our A30 #319 has a substantial SS backing plate under the bow to support the manual windlass, inner forestay (and tack of staysail), and cleats.

Anyhow I will send you photos of:

a) the forestay attachment point on our mast (tape measure included in pic for reference) - I would be interested in any comment on the type of fitting used...

b) our bow which should show approximately where the forestay attaches (unfortunately without a tape measure in the pic for reference!)

c) the backing plate arrangement

If there is general interest in these pics please advise and I can send them to George, eventually with proper dimensions for stay and sail.

Cheers,
David

P.s.: The sailing on Georgian Bay was brilliant last week, not withstanding my inexperience!