[Public-List] FW: Messing about in boats

Rod Symmes weatherhelm at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 6 06:55:27 PDT 2009

I am sure all of you know the quote from The Wind in the Willows "there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."  but having read further I am now convinced that the author, Kenneth Grahame,  must have been a sailor.  How else could he have his character Ratty get the next paragraph so right.

" In or out of 'em,  it doesn't matter.  Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it.  Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

Amen, Brother.

Cheers,    Rod

~~~~