[Public-List] GrayMarine engine question

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Sat Jul 18 18:47:55 PDT 2009

Hugh,

I think it runs clockwise looking aft. Take a look at your old impeller.  The wear will be only on one side of the vanes and that will be a clue for the direction of rotation.  Also the firing order is cast into the cylinder head.  Turn the engine over in one direction by hand and look at which direction the distributor rotor turns.  Then determine from that if the firing order makes sense. You can also see which way the starter motor must turn to engage the bendix drive, from that you can determine which way the engine is turned to start.

Michael