[Public-List] Rudder Repair on #235

Richard Hansen rdhansenjr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 10:05:29 PDT 2009

Thanks for the insights and advice on the rudder stock and shoe.  Some
follow up questions:

1.  Top.  Haven't seen silicon bronze bushings in the various on line
cataloges but will call as I'm guessing they can custom fabricate.  Any
leads to supply appreciated.

2. Any thoughts on the Middle?  Removed the one piece hull gudgeon, but it
will be much more difficult if not impossible to emplace a pin in rudder
gudgeon, slip removed hull gudgeon over, and articulate back around the
hull.  Another option is to buy a new two piece gudgeon.  Which led me to
wonder why I could not simply cut or have gudgeon cut in half?  Curious if
there would be enough shape and strength left in the 2 less-than-half
circles?

3. Bottom.  The 3/8" aft bolt and 1/4" side screws that attach the shoe fit
loosely in existing holes in keel.   Is it better to retap larger holes and
upsize the aft bolt and side screws?  If so, are there suggested guidelines
for retapping, e.g., at least ___ sizes larger to allow full tapping of the
hole?  Or is it better to refill the existing holes and retap?  There again,
retap to existing or larger size?  Thanks again.  Richard