[Public-List] loose casting on propeller shaft at end of keel

Peter Milley milleype at kingston.net
Sun Jul 26 08:53:18 PDT 2009

Hi John,
Thanks for taking the time to give me a comprehensive and detailed reply. I
did in fact hear from Gord and had consulted with George Dinwiddie last
evening.  I think I'm on the right track. If you have the occasion to be in
sailing around Kingston over the summer please let me know. Appended is my
reply to Gord outlining what I have done to correct the problem.

Hi Gord,
As always Gord it's great to hear from you.

First thing this morning I cleaned out then epoxyed the two holes and ran a
new bead of 4200 around the joint after having consulted with George
Dinwiddie last evening. I had given the shaft assembly a 1/4 turn with the
bolts out breaking the seal so the 4200 should re-bed the joint nicely. I
was careful not to get calking in the water holes on the casting. Once
everything sets up I'll tap new threads put in the same shiny stainless
bolts which show no signs of wear then brush on some antifouling on the
joint and bolts.

I have Ginseng here in the yard on her trailer to get a few small jobs done
before we haul her south for the winter. I'm going to pull apart the galley
to re-surface the galley counters next week and install a great used dodger
I picked up in Portland Maine a month or so ago on route to Boston to see
the Volvo Ocean Race Fleet in-port Boston race.

On a personal note we too have been having a great season as well. I did a
trawler delivery from Annapolis up the ditch to Kingston a few weeks ago and
have been sailing Privateer a lot locally. On the tall-ship side, we are
doing a battle reenactment with an attack on Fort Henry on Aug 22 to gear up
for the War of 1812 Bicentennial with Regional Bicentennial Advisory Board.
Justin is on the 6 month Nav course at CFB Esquimalt and won't be back to
his ship Halifax until Oct. He is going to be in Kingston on route home to
Halifax so we can do a very belated annual Father's Day Sail.

Peter