[Public-List] Procedure to replace prop shaft packing material

Brad OConnell oconnell_brad at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 08:16:17 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of a project to replace the A4 engine on my '66 Alberg 30 with an electric motor system. I have the engine pulled, and noticed a little dripping from the stuffing box- more than should occur. My estimate is that the packing material has not been replaced in many years, and that it should be done before the new motor is mounted, and connected to the shaft. Does anyone have a procedure for replacing the packing material while the boat is in the water?  What is the normal packing material- jute or hemp? Does it matter what is used? Anyone know where to buy packing material in Ontario (Ottawa, Kingston or Toronto area)?

Brad O'Connell

Monsarratt- # 186