[Public-List] Procedure to replace prop shaft packing material

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Jun 11 08:43:02 PDT 2009

Brad OConnell wrote:

> I am in the middle of a project to replace the A4 engine on my '66
> Alberg 30 with an electric motor system. I have the engine pulled,
> and noticed a little dripping from the stuffing box- more than should
> occur. My estimate is that the packing material has not been replaced
> in many years, and that it should be done before the new motor is
> mounted, and connected to the shaft. Does anyone have a procedure for
> replacing the packing material while the boat is in the water?  What
> is the normal packing material- jute or hemp? Does it matter what is
> used? Anyone know where to buy packing material in Ontario (Ottawa,
> Kingston or Toronto area)?

There's a page on the website about repacking the stuffing box.  Doing
it in the water just means you're going to let in some water.
Traditional packing material is, I think, wax impregnated flax.  I would
go to a chandler and buy the stuff made for this job.

While repacking with the engine out will give you better access, you
might consider the angle of the shaft while doing so.  And if moving the
shaft around is going to affect the packing material.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org