[Public-List] Water pump

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Jun 15 05:24:26 PDT 2009

Good morning gang -

Well SURPRISE is finally in the water as of Friday night.  One of my tasks
this year was to change the water pump impellor.  I know I should do it
regularly but it is such a horrible wrestle to even get at it I have not
done the job for years.  I suppose I am lucky the thing had not fragmented
and blocked water jacket passages.

After the last ordeal, I purchased a so-called quick remove face plate for
the pump.  Unfortunately I discovered on the weekend that the plate I was
sold bears no resemblance to what the pump on my A4 has.

My pump has six tiny screws that I had to remove while lying on a cushion on
top of the engine, working with a mirror and flashlight.  I laid a towel
under the motor to catch tools and screws I might drop.  If you folks heard
cursing coming from the NorthWest that was me.

I got the plate off without losing any screws.  Remembering the hell of the
last time I did this, I thought maybe I could leave one screw in to keep the
plate oriented correctly and just swing it out of the way to pull out the
impellor.  Well I tore the paper gasket and had to take the whole thing out.
My local marina had a new impellor; naturally the paper gasket was not the
same as the old one so I had to glue it back together with grease and
attempt put it back.

After a very long struggle (despite the cushion I have four bruises in my
chest from the spark plugs) I got four of the six screws back in... Can not
get the last two in place.  The empty holes are opposing each other across
the plate, which is not leaking, but I would like to try to get them back
in.  They just won't go in.

Thinking perhaps the paper gasket was blocking the holes I have tried
scrabbling around with a pin to cut the paper... I have tried VERY CAREFULLY
and slowly rotating a sharp drill bit to cut it (dangerous as I might easily
damage the threads in the holes!)  still no joy.

Anybody got a miraculous idea that might make me happy?

Gord (glad to be in the water I guess)
#426 Surprise