[Public-List] Tow line around mast

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 30 11:10:18 PDT 2009

Ahoy; Our Chicago sailing club has many Rhodes 19's without motors. When the wind dies, we advocate allowing them to take a tow by taking the tow line a couple of turns around the mast (which is keel-stepped) and guiding the tow line through a bow chock or bow cleat.

With a deck-stepped Alberg mast, with (or without?) the horizontal bolt thru the base of the mast and step, do you think it is safe to similarly take the towing strain on the mast? I am writing up rule revisions and am not certain if i want to include all of our boats or just the Rhodes in the instructions.

Thanks,
Ed Schroeder #303 Emotional Rescue