[Public-List] chainplate stainless steel alloy

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:27:06 PDT 2009

Can anyone advise whether original chainplates are made from 304 or 316 stainless steel?

My original chainplates appear to be 3/16" tick.  I have my eye on some 1 1/4" wide by 1/4" 304 or 316 Stainless Steel bar to replace my current chainplates (which seem serviceable still).  The existing chainplates might perhaps be reused as backing plates.  Any practical experience from the coastal A30 sailors on 304 vs 316 chainplates for eventual salt water work would be welcome.

David

Alberg 30 #319

Georgian Bay, ON