[Public-List] Spacers between chainplates and...

Rick Leach rixquik at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 12:49:42 PDT 2009

David,

When upsizing the chainplates and bolts on #121, I found some gaps that were about 3/8" (.375").  I wish now that I had thought to measure each from the stem, as Michael suggests, to verify symmetry prior to re-installation.  In any case, I decided to fill the gaps.  To do this I cleaned-up each of the chainplate "footprints" with a Dremel and sanding drum, and coated the chainplates and bolts with mold release.  I then mixed up batches of epoxy and finely chopped glass fabric to a thick mush and used it to completely fill the gaps, hand tightening the nuts to "squish" the mush out a little on all sides.  Then using the round end of a mixing stick, I formed a fillet around the edges.  Once the epoxy kicked I was able to pop the plates and bolts out and inspect the new chainplate "pads".  What I have now are structurally strong, full-contact support pads that center the chainplates in their slots.  The gaps you describe are more substantial than what I
 found, but the idea should work as well.  The extra leverage that a 3/4" offset creates would definitely increase the potential for working within the system, as Michael points out.  It was a little extra work, but I'm very happy with the results.  Feel free to contact me if you'd like photos or more information.

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121
Monterey, California