[Public-List] Window gasketing

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 9 14:56:34 PDT 2009

Yes, pre-formed butyl tape can be used. On Emotional Rescue #303, we used two types of Tremco butyl rubber glazing tape, Tremco 440 and Tremco PolyShim Tape. Both worked excellent.

For polycarbonate (Lexan) sheets less than 36 inches in any dimension (lots of thermal movement), such as the side windows, we used Tremco 440 on the pane. We used both 1/16 inch and 1/8 inch thick x 1/2 inch wide. The inner side had the 1/16 inch and the exterior had the 1/8 inch. The aluminum removable inner frame squeezes the two tapes only sufficiently to provide complete adhesion.

I also cut a pane in the sliding hatch cover to provide light. Because one steps on this polycarbonate lite when furling sails, I used the PolyShim tape under the plastic pane so that it would not be squeezed out when stepped on. I rabbeted down into the veneered plywood only "half" way, allowing room for the thickness of the plastic plus the un-squeezable tape. To keep the pane from sliding sideways when shifting ones feet, I drilled screw holes thru the plastic all around about 3 or 4 inches centers. Make the screw holes slightly larger than the round head screws to allow for sun-movement in the pane. Place washers under the screw heads and don't screw down so tight that the pane cannot move from sun-movement.

The tape has un-squeezable shims within it. The pane was cut about 3/32 inch smaller than the opening all around. Apply the tape flush with the outer edge of the pane so that it supports the pane on the rabbeted wood edge. After the pane with un-squeezable tape is applied and the screw/washers inserted, apply silicone sealant between the edge of the pane and the wood, flush with the upper side of the pane.

The silicone sealant can shear off from time to time from foot movement but only the silicone needs to be repaired. The "non-leaking" pane has been in place 5 years; the silicone repaired 2 times.

Ed Schroeder