[Public-List] Window gasketing

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Tue Mar 10 01:59:20 PDT 2009

Thanks all for the good info,

I contacted a local maker of adhesive backed foam tape (closed cell, UV
resistant) who is dropping off some samples w/ spec sheets.  One question
about the butyl tape.  Does it flow sufficiently that it needs to be cleaned
from the Lexan and, if so, what is used to clean it?  I have had the
replacement Lexan for some time now so, for better or worse......

I installed the Lexan in the openings by injecting silicone in the gap
between edge of the Lexan and the window openings; put wide masking tape on
the outside to hold the Lexan in place and contain the outside of silicone,
masked the inside of the Lexan and the opening (easy because I could trim
the masking w/ a knife before installing the Lexan) and used a putty knife
to flush out the inside surface.  I thought it would more clever than it
turned out; ended up w/ some gaps (next time I won't use clear silicone,
makes it hard to see the gaps) but at least the panes are "suspended" inside
the openings and ready for the real install.

Ed - the window in the hatch sounds pretty cool; have you any pictures?

Roger 148