[Public-List] Batteries

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Wed Mar 18 06:33:47 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I am in the market for new batteries and could sure use some advice.  Deep
cell, wet cell, sealed cell, gel cell, jail cell, absorbed glass matt - what
the heck.

I have a Universal 18 diesel (I will check alternator size) and a new
battery charger (I will check on maker & model), a really neat electrical
panel with built in volt meter and a big red switch labeled 1, 2, all & off.
I also have a refrigerator (Norcold?) and plan on having standard stuff like
VHF, stereo, GPS, instruments, air conditioning and table saw (just kidding
on the last 2).  I suppose I will also need running lights and an auto
pilot.  Sounds like a set up for costal cruising?  I also thought it would
be cool to run a small microwave from an inverter but could run that on
shore power if it's too much.

I like the idea of zero maintenance (gel or glass?) and wonder if I need a
separate starting battery and house battery or if 2 houses will do (with 2
cats in the yards).  Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly
appreciated.  Are there any "Sailboat Electronics for Dummies" books I
should read.

Thanks so much,

Roger 148