[Public-List] Spacers between chainplates and knee & bulkhead on starboard side

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Mon Mar 23 06:56:53 PDT 2009

David,

That is interesting.  I wonder if the slots thru the deck were cut through too far aft and instead of lengthening the slots the mfg. just added the spacers.  More importantly take a measurement from the centre of the stem fitting aft to the fore edge of each chainplate both on port and starboard .

It is most ideal if these measurements are identical for each pr. (port/starboard) of shrouds.

Do the chain plates appear to have twisted/tilted upwards where the spacers have been used? For strength it would be better to have the plates directly against the bulkhead or knee.  If spacers must be used I would suggest that they be made at least the full length and width of the chain plate below the deck where the bolts go through them. Using something like washers around each bolt to space the plate aft would allow the plate some leverage to pump up and down and weaken the fastening system. This leverage would be caused by any air space between the plate and the bulkhead or knee.

In a nut shell, have the 'foot print' of each spacer be at least as large or slightly larger than the plate it is to space outward from the fastening surface.   Oh yeah, make certain that each plate goes back in the same location, and that also means which face faces forward.  My two cents worth.

Michael #133