[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 1526, Issue 1

laserandy at aol.com laserandy at aol.com
Fri May 29 13:02:32 PDT 2009

Patrick,

Van Ness Engineering is a great resource, they have all the parts and can tell you how
to fix anything on the motor.

The temp sensor is a screw terminal on the thermostat housing which is on the starboard side
of the engine, all the way forward, hanging on a bracket bolted to the two forward starboard
head-bolts.  The actual sender is behind the screw terminal, but that's where the wire to the
gauge connects.

Your hull is a about 55 boats earlier than ours, but if it's the same setup, the oil pressure
sender is a thin oil tube that connects to the gauge cluster.  The engine end is threaded into
the side of the block on the port side, about halfway back.  On ours, it's an angled plumbing
fitting that the oil pressure sender line screws to.  If you're doing this by feel, it's
behind the fuel pump and carburetor and below the valve cover, more or less opposite the drain
plug, which is on the starboard side.

If the boat is new to you, make sure you change the water pump impeller and the belt.
These motors are very reliable, as long as they've got oil, gas, and water flow.
If your impeller and/or belt is old and breaks, you risk losing water pressure to the engine,
overheating it, cracking the manifold, which permits water into the cylinders which in turn
sticks the valves, and eventually ends with an engine that no longer runs.  Trust me.

There are a whole host of other things you might consider doing if the engine is running
decently now, but you don't know when they were last done.  Plugs, wires, distributor cap
points, oil change, and perhaps yank the carb. next time you're taking the boat out of
commission for a couple weeks and send it to Van Ness to rebuild.

If the fuel pump is original, you might also consider swapping it for a new one.  They're not
terribly expensive, but I understand some of the old ones had a membrane that eventually can
break down, which is a potentially dangerous situation.  If you take a photo of yours and send
it to Van Ness, I'm sure he can tell you if yours is of the type that should be replaced.

Andrew
Andante - 152