[Public-List] Any comments on mounting an outboard?

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Thu May 7 20:10:19 PDT 2009

Dennis K. Biby wrote:
> Ahoy,
>
> I know the theoretical pros and cons but I'm interested in hearing from
> someone who powers their A-30 with a transom mounted long-shaft
> outboard.
>
> Yes, I know that it detracts from the beautiful lines of the Alberg 30.
>
> Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Our boat, #521, has a transom mounted outboard; it's a 8 HP Johnson
"Sailmaster" Ultra Long Shaft (25 inches).

Couple of Cons from my experience with this setup:

(1) Hard to reach engine controls while the engine is down; remote
controls here would likely help.

(2) Don't expect an outboard to 'stop' your boat by going into reverse
like you can with a large prop inboard.  It's 9000 lb of boat (dry) -
best bet is to approach docks and such as if you don't even HAVE a
reverse gear on the engine.  I try to never rely on reverse for stopping
the boat in tight quarters.

(3) Backing is atrocious anyway.  If I did not have the outboard set up
to turn (some folks lock them, which may be required with the above
mentioned remote throttle/shifter), I'd have no control in reverse...not
that I have a lot now.

(4) In anything over about 4 ft in sea state, the engine ventilates.

(5) I'm not pleased with the fuel economy; this is a lot of boat to push
with a smallish outboard.  Of course, I don't run at full throttle.
Even with only 8 HP, anything over about 2/3 or 3/4 throttle, and the
stern squat (and subsequent reduction in speed gain to rpm ratio) is
noticeable.  I can run 5 ish knots at between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.  At
this throttle setting, I've motored into 25 kts but only made about 3
kts or so over ground.

I'll get REAMED for this I'm sure, but I have thought of cutting a well
in the laz and putting the ob there.  This will help with issues (1) and
(4).

Finally, it sure IS ugly.

John
s/v Gaelic Sea