[Public-List] Any comments on mounting an outboard?

J B Knapp jbknapp at yancyd.com
Fri May 8 11:34:04 PDT 2009

I recently obtained an A30, with two Atomic 4's - in pieces.  The
previous owner showed me literature form Capehorn
(http://www.capehorn.com/sections/remotorisation/remotoriserAng.htm) and
about how this owner attached a 9.9 hp outboard to his A30.  Has me
intrigued, but I think the ultimate cost savings will be to rebuild and
re-install the Atomic 4, unless I can find a more modern engine,
preferably a diesel.  In the mean time, I'm looking at just sculling the
boat, or towing it with the inflatable that came with it.  On the inland
lake the boat is currently on, that's about all that is needed.

There is, sadly, more things I need to do to make the boat a safe sail.
It has wood spars that need to be replaced, I would like to replace them
with aluminum spars.  Any suggestions?

BTW I also have 3 Kittiwake 23's - 2 with engine wells in the lazarette
- I absolutely love that arrangement.  The 3rd has  a transom hung one -
it's going to be pulled and a motor well installed.

Bart Knapp
A30 3068388