[Public-List] water seeping through under mast

Matthew Hay mattrhay at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 06:30:27 PST 2009

While prepping for paint I discovered that some water has been getting into
the core through the electrical conduit and holes on doghouse under the
mast.  After removing spreader light wires ETC. the core in the holes seemed
wet.  When softly thumped with a hammer the thumping sound changes from a
dead thump to a good dry whacking sound about an eight inch radius around
each hole.  I am assuming quit a bit of water penetration in the core has
spread from wire holes.  In *This Old Boat* the replacement of the core from
inside the cabin does not seem that difficult.  Has anyone removed the under
skin around the mast replaced the core and put the skin back?  What is the
mast step bolted to?  Do I have to take the mast step off as well or is that
fastened to a different system then the core?  My mast beam repair is fine
and unaffected but it was done by the previous owner so I did not gain any
knowledge about the mast step as if I had done it myself.  So I really do
not know how the mast step fastens and is supported.  Is this a cosmetic
issue that I can seal up and worry about later or is this an essential
structural winter project?
Thank you very much,
Matthew
#314 Renard 1968