[Public-List] Interior painting/ Cetol Light

Robert Alley 1ralley at comcast.net
Sun Nov 15 11:49:21 PST 2009

Matt: You might want to determine how many coats of paint you have.  In
the old maintenance manual (mine is in a red 3 ring binder) someone
suggested that it would be a good thing to freshen up the original
jelcoat by painting the interior surfaces with a latex paint; apparently
lots of people did.  This stuff is not a marine product, and comes off
in sheets once adhesion is lost.  It is not lead based.  It can be
removed relatively easily with a heat gun and elbow grease, leaving a
clean jelcoat surface underneath which can be painted with something
much better available today.  If you wait long enough, the latex will
come off by itself.

    Athough it is hard to determine why, the government considers latex
paint a hazardous chemical. Check out the various HAZMAT websites.

Rob