[Public-List] Loose-footed mainsail

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:04:51 PST 2009

Guys there are plenty of boats out there with loose footed mains, and
not all of them are modern high performance boats with expensive
carbon parts.

The Laser, for example, has a loose footed main. Of course the Laser
was designed in the early 1970's or late 1960's so it's a good 10-15
years newer than our boat's design, not to mention the fact that it's
a one person daysailor that weighs a little over a hundred pounds. All
I'm saying is that loose feet are not only a super modern boat kind of
invention. Shoot, don't lateen rigs by definition have loose feet?
Maybe I'm wrong about this I don't know, but what the hell. I'm sure
Gord knows...

If you want to know how a traditional full keeled displacement hull
like ours will perform with a loose footed main, I suggest you read
Tim Lackey's triton 381 site which has extensive writings on the
subject (I sent a link to it earlier), and if you don't find an answer
by reading through what he's already written, try posting on his forum
or sending him an e-mail. He's a really nice guy, and he has a triton
with a loose footed main. This is probably as close as you'll get to
an Alberg with a loose foot, since they're very similar designs. So
I'm sure he can answer your question.

http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/

Later,

JB