[Public-List] Cockpit Drain Seacocks

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Tue Nov 24 13:09:01 PST 2009

Hi David,

I'm one of the people who started a cockpit drain seacock discussion,
a couple of years ago.

I did replace the (original) through-hulls, gate valves, and backing
blocks.  I went with new, US-made bronze through hulls and seacocks,
and fiberglass backing blocks (GP-03 from Mcmaster Carr).  I also
replaced the hoses with new, good-quality wet-exhaust hose by Trident,
and new AWAB hose clamps.

Now, I ended up selling my boat before I kept it in the water (sob!),
but I can still tell you that I would not have closed one of the
cockpit-drain seacocks when leaving the boat unattended.  Here's my
reasoning:  With the entire system renewed, using high-quality
materials and installing them with best practices, I have more faith
in my drains not failing than I do in one of them not clogging.  In
other words, I rated the risk of a clog (hard to control) higher than
a failure of the systems I installed.

Of course it's nice to close seacocks, and so I would close all of the
other ones.

Just one opinion.

Rachel
ex #221
And very sorry I sold it.  Maybe I need another one :D