[Public-List] Cockpit Drain Seacocks

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Tue Nov 24 13:53:26 PST 2009

Albergers,

I have thought of installing larger, above water drains at the bottom
corners of the lazarette bulkhead with hoses (w/ a slight slope down) inside
the lazarette and thru the part of the hull forward of the transom that is
above water (Gord, there must be a name for that part?).  Would probably
need some kind of flapper valve to avoid stern wave backflow.  Might work
depending on how far above the water line the cockpit is (Anyone know; guess
it depends on how much stuff and crew you put aft?).

An alternative to those who prefer to close all valves could be a slick
little canvas cockpit cover perhaps running from the forward end of the main
hatch to the aft end of the lazarette hatch and covering the winches and
combing boards.  It would require an alternate way to hold the boom (remove
sheet and use a bridal connected to stanchion bases?).  Of course, your
faith in the boom cover would have to exceed your faith in open seacocks but
it would help preserve all of that exposed wood.

Some advice (being poorly qualified, something I rarely give) on closing ALL
sea cocks.  Hang the engine key over the handle of the closed engine
seawater intake so, if you ask a friend to start the engine while you are
away, he (actually you if you neglect to tell him the seacock is closed)
might avoid pulverizing the impeller by starting the engine before opening
the seacock.  Amazing where all those little pieces can end up; at least
that's what people tell me.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone (belated for the Canadians),

Roger 148

Roger Kingsland, Managing Partner
Kingsland Scott Bauer Associates

KSBA

Architects/Planners/InteriorDesigners/ProjectManagers

3441 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
N 40° 27.8344'  W79° 57.9831'

412-252-1500 ext.101