[Public-List] Tiller Head

Jonathan Budington jon at globalprinting.com
Sun Oct 11 06:18:01 PDT 2009

I was sailing last night - beautiful evening with about 12 knots of
breeze.  We passed under the Bay Bridge, and we were hit by a 25 knot
gust.  The boat wanted to head up, so I pushed down hard on the tiller.
We reduced sail, but I noticed I was fighting to keep the boat on track.
I realized that the to keep the boat on a straight course, I had to keep
the tiller almost all the way over to the starboard side.  I made it
back to Annapolis, but the last left turn into the slip was a real
challenge.  I played with the tiller after we tied up; it seems to be in
full control of the rudder, but way off center.  Could the head have
slipped on the post?  Doesn't the post have a keyway to prevent this?
Could it be something worse?

Jon Budington