[Public-List] Main Sail Track Fasetening

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Mon Oct 19 13:59:16 PDT 2009

Mick,

I uses 1/4" SS rivets to fasten hull to deck and agree w/ you about the
difficulty.  I broke 2 rivet guns but my handshake is allot firmer now.  If
I did it again I would try a pneumatic rivet gun like this one
http://www.nextag.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-PL1539-Air-66267316/prices-html for
$70 +S&H.  I also found this attachment to a cordless drill that looks
pretty nice but costs $142 w/ S&H
http://www.s-bgroup.com/lobster/rivedrill.html.

Seems it would be allot easier than screws and worrying about getting every
one properly threaded.

Gord - I got screwed by a guy named Robertson once but I didn't know he
actually made screws.

>From the trusty internet (may even be true).
Robertson Screw
In 1908, square-drive screws were invented by Canadian P. L. Robertson.
Twenty-eight years before Henry Phillips patented his Phillips head screws,
which are also square-drive screws. The Robertson screw is considered the
"first recess-drive type fastener practical for production usage." The
design became a North American standard, as published in the sixth edition
of Industrial Fasteners Institute Metric and Inch Standards. A square-drive
head on a screw can be better than a slot head because the screwdriver will
not slip out of the screw's head during installation. The Model T car made
by the Ford Motor Company (one of Robertson's first customers) used over
seven hundred Robertson screws.

Roger 148

Roger Kingsland, Managing Partner
Kingsland Scott Bauer Associates

KSBA

Architects/Planners/InteriorDesigners/ProjectManagers

3441 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
N 40° 27.8344'  W79° 57.9831'

412-252-1500 ext.101