[Public-List] Main Sail Track Fasetening

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Oct 19 13:50:21 PDT 2009

I did the job once on a large client's mast (the mast was large, not
the client)  I did it with two electric drills; on one I had the drill
bit on the other was the tap.  It only took seconds to do each hole.
I carefully fixed the track in place with strategic screws then zinged
in the rest using the track as a jig.  The drill with the tap chucked
in it was reversable.. that is key to the idea!

It sounds like your mast is already drilled but some holes had rivets
and others screws?  If that is the case, you could put the tap on the
drill and 'zing' each one with a  shot in and out.   Short machine
screws shouldn't be too horrible to put in... you could do those with
a drill too if you got some with Robertson heads.  Now there is a
test... who of you stalwart colleagues knows about Robertson screws????

Gord #426