[Public-List] Main Sail Track Fasetening

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Mon Oct 19 13:41:55 PDT 2009

I will second Gord's opinion on the rivets! I would go with the Stainless
Steel ones. I would also not drill & tap every hole but only do those
at the gooseneck. The rest of the rivets will hold on fine with properly
sized ss rivets. Unless of course you really want to spend the time
drilling & tapping ?

--
C.B. Currier
Infinity
Daybreak #458

-

> I may be misunderstanding your question...but it
looks to me like the
> best thing for you to do is get a 3/16 tap
and run that in and out of
> each hole to clean up the threads.  I
would say that 1/4 is too big
> both with regard to the screw
heads and it is more meat than you need.

> I would
recommend that you not use aluminium rivets - they are too
> soft
and you could tear the track out under sail in heavy winds.

> Last thing - remind me where in Oz you are.

Gord
> Canada #426 Surprise
>

> On 19-Oct-09, at 4:10 PM, Michael Taylor wrote:
>
>> After painting the mast I am putting the main sail
track back onto
>> the mast.  I see that some have tapped each
of the existing holes to
>> replace the rivets with machine
screws.    The track is stainless
>> 7/8" with 3/16th
holes drilled.  The next drill size up will just
>> clean out
the existing mast holes and leave sufficient room to
>> thread
either 1/4 inch or 6mm machine screws.

>> Having
got a sample of machine screws with various heads it seems

that the heads are too big for the existing sail track (they don't
>> seat at the base of the track).  I assume that the only way to
use
>> machine screws is to either change the sail track or
drill new holes
>> which I'm not prepared to do.
>>
>> If I can't use machine screws it will be back to
aluminum rivets
>> with a steel mandrel as I've found
strainless very difficult to
>> remove - and install.
>>
>> Have I missed something with machine screw
fitting here?

>> thanks
>>
>> Mick

>> Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail.
>> Learn more: http://au.overview.mail.yahoo.com/

>> These
businesses support your Association:

>> Please