[Public-List] Goose Neck Track

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Oct 29 09:34:24 PDT 2009

Hello friends -

I have been in BC on business and am just catching up on the topic.

I would suggest that a bolt going through the mast is problematic in
that if the holes are not threaded (or even if they are) one would be
stressing the soft aluminium extrusion when you tighten the bolt.   If
the track is secured by machine screws threaded into the wall of the
extrusion adjacent to the track... well there is no stronger way to
fix it.

If one were bent (pun intended) on bolting through to the front face
of the mast, the only way you could achieve a fix as secure as short
machine screws tapped in would be if there were a nut cranked hard
against the inner surface of the after face of the extrusion...and
another cranked hard against the inner surface of the forward face.
I am assuming a third nut outside the mast on the forward face.
Alternatively  one could I suppose fit a compression tube in the mast
to protect it from the compression but that would be as awkward as the
nuts and still only approximating the strength of short machine screws
tapped in.

Remember that the loading on the goose neck track is all in shear...
the only part of what ever fastener is used that is 'working' is the
part that exits the after surface of the mast.  How much bolt extends
through the inner void and penetrates the forward face has nothing to
do with how secure the bolt is holding the track to the mast.

Hope that helps - please write if I am not making sense.

Oh the issue of track slides catching at track unions.... so long as
the track sections are somewhat lined up with each other, that issue
can be solved by carefully rounding off the corners of the ends of the
tracks at the joint.   Do that (only a little is required) with a fine
file then polish with fine emory paper, and the sticking problem will
go away even if you have six joints rather than the three that is
usual (the track comes in ten foot lengths)

There should be a fastener right at the end of the upper and lower
sections at each joint... if there is not, popping in a  rivet on each
side of the joint right at the end of the track sections is a good idea.

Cheers  - Gord #426 SURPRISE