[Public-List] Alternator belt question

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Wed Sep 9 07:30:28 PDT 2009

Gord,

If it is slipping it is too loose and if it is tight as a drum string it is too tight.  Hows that for 'objective'.

Actually, if you have a span between sheaves of about 12" proper tension would be if you can only deflect the belt toward the center of it's route about 1/2" to 3/4"using MODERATE pressure with your thumb. Of course les s span means less deflection allowed and vise versa. Is that seat of the pants, vague enough for you?

You will have to do the metric conversion on my dimensions, ;-)

Michael