[Public-List] Alternator belt question

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Wed Sep 9 07:41:17 PDT 2009

I usually use a long wrench or on the car a tire iron to lever the alt
belt "just tight" or with tension on the belt. then tighten. If
you are having issues with Power output - then it is not the tension. If
you over tighten you can ruin the bearings in the alt. But you really have
to pull up on the lever to get the belt tension too tight.
Once
tensioned start the motor. See that it is turning. If not ... go for the
lever again. if you are at max on either the belt or the guide, change to
a smaller belt. They can be purchased at true value or service star.Then
re-tension. again just tight. This is really not an objective tension as
you would need a gauge of some sort. For the most part the
"grip" of the belt will handle a snug tension beyond that you
will have issues.
--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57

crufone at comcast.net wrote:

> Gord,
>
> If it is slipping it is too
loose and if it is tight as a drum string it
> is too tight.
Hows that for 'objective'.

Actually, if you have a span between sheaves of about 12" proper
tension
> would be if you can only deflect the belt toward the
center of it's route
> about 1/2" to 3/4"using MODERATE
pressure with your thumb. Of course les s
> span means less
deflection allowed and vise versa. Is that seat of the
> pants,
vague enough for you?

> You will
have to do the metric conversion on my dimensions, ;-)

From:
"Gordon Laco" <mainstay at csolve.net>
"Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all"

<public-list at lists.alberg30.org>
> Sent: Wednesday,
September 9, 2009 8:50:00 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern

Subject: [Public-List] Alternator belt question

> Hello
gang -

> Can any of you offer me an objective manner of
gauging if the tension
> is correct in my A4's alternator
belt?

> Gord Laco